Sunday 24 June 2012

A few words of thanks.

Good afternoon everyone. The sun is out and it's hard to believe it was such a wet day yesterday. Having said that the rain kept things cool, which was a bonus.

This is just a very quick post, as I intend to do a detailed run down of yesterday's events over the next day or so and also I'm still in shock after winning the event alongside Vinny and with a new record. I knew we were making good progress and were inside record time, but when Sean broke the record he was particularly quick in the second half of the race, so I wasn't sure if it was possible. Vinny walked another excellent race and proved what an unbelievable competitor he is. An example of his great sportsmanship was displayed yesterday, as he and I were a few hundred metres down the road from the turning off to Lonan Church. We were walking in the road an a bus approached, so I stepped up on to the kerb, but my standing foot slipped and I had a fall, cutting my hands, knee and banging my ribs. Vinny, without any concern for his own performance stopped to make sure I was alright and only continued when I was back on my feet and okay.



A special mention to Michael George for such a courageous performance yesterday, who was also inside the previous course record. Michael was out on his own for about 55 miles and without the bouts of sickness would have been a comfortable winner. One thing you can't question is his guts and determination.

Sue Biggart was worthy winner of the ladies event, followed by Maureen Moffat and Samantha Draper. Congratulations to the three of them and also to my fellow bloggers Ed Walter and John Watterson for notching up a third finish and PB, respectively. Congratulations to Tony, who was the unofficial Parish Walk blogger, on a first finish. I was at the finish this morning when Tony crossed the line, so it was good to finally introduce myself,

A big thank you to the Parish Walk Committee for staging another superb event, to Murray Lambden for his excellent coverage throughout the day, the main sponsor Manx Telecom, Graham Young and his team off judges; all the marshalls and people who manned the drinks stations and check-ins and all other volunteers on the day (Civil Defence and St John's Ambulance) - all of whom gave up their time to help stage this unique event. Finally, a mention to the Manx public for their support and encouragement throughout the day.

My support drivers, also deserve a massive thank you, as they did an excellent job looking after me and without their assistance it wouldn't have been possible - starting with my father-in-law Paul until Peel, followed by my mate James and finishing with Kyley and her sister Melissa, from just after Jurby to the finish..

I haven't slept yet, but I'm still on a high at the moment, so off to the pub for a few celebratory drinks!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for your kind comments, Richard and well done to you and Vinny who walked fantastic races. As you know, I was inconsolable yesterday but with time comes perspective and I'm very proud to have come third behind two ironmen, though I am sure you know that in unguarded moments, I'm still issuing the two two words I said to you both on the hill up to Lonan ;)

    ReplyDelete