Sunday 27 November 2011

A Break From Training!

Welcome to everyone reading my first post. I've never written a blog before and whilst I've enjoyed reading the Parish Walk blogs over the last few years, I didn't really fancy doing one myself. When Murray contacted me to see if I would be up for it, I was initially reluctant as I thought I would struggle to post regular topics of interest. However, my wife told me to 'man-up' and give it a go. I'm also 40 next year and as I hope to be challenging at the front, it will be something I can look back on in the future.

Richard Spenceley certainly raised the bar last year with the quality and quantity of his Parish Walk blogging, which he can probably now turn into a book! So whilst I can't promise the same level of detail, I hope people find it both an interesting and informative look at how I prepare for the 2012 Parish Walk and also some of my history in the Parish Walk. Feel free to comment on my postings and if you want to ask me any questions you can email me at richardg@manx.net

I will cover in more detail in a later blog how I got into walking and the reasons behind why I did my first Parish Walk in 2007. But, on the 1st January the same year, I weighed roughly 6 stones heavier than I do now (and I am currently a stone heavier than when I did the 2011 Parish Walk), so that should give you a fair idea of how overweight and obviously unfit I was at the time! The Parish Walk was a catalyst to lose weight and change my lifestyle, so from a personal perpective it means a lot to me.

The title of this post is 'a Break From Training!'. I should point out that this is not a self-enforced break, as I have been laid up with an injured knee for the last three weeks, due to being on the receiving end of a bad tackle playing football. I thought my football days were behind me, but my friend James persauded me to sign on for Colby last year to play in the IOM FA Veterans League. He got a good bunch of guys together, we played some decent football at times, but importantly had a laugh, so I didn't have any hesitation in saying I would play again this season. Last year I was fortunate and stayed injury free, so thought it was a good way to keep fit over the winter and do another sport alongside the walking. Anyway, you can't legislate for someone hitting you with a late tackle, so my season will probably come to an end around March next year, to avoid any injuries near to the Parish Walk. Enough about the football for now, but I will come back to it in later blogs.

The frustrating thing about picking up the injury now was I was starting to do more running, which I have found helps significantly towards the walking and was planning to run the Syd Quirk Half Marathon. I have never ran further than about 10 miles before, but was feeling quite fit before I got injured and was confident of doing a reasonable time. Anyway, I suppose if there is such a thing as a good time to get injured, now is it! I went out for an easy walk this afternoon and the knee was feeling okay, so it's on the mend, but don't think it will be up to the Firemans' Run on Thursday.

Well done to everyone who took part in the Syd Quirk today, in what were cold and windy conditions. I was marshalling at Cross Fourways and it was quite exposed there. Congratulations to Michael George and Mike Garrett on winning the walk and run respectively.

I look forward to posting over the next 7 months and hope you enjoy the blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment